Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks are a mouthwatering air fryer appetizer! These unbelievably crispy mozzarella sticks in the air fryer will make you quickly forget the ones from the freezer section.
Mozzarella sticks are a great handheld snack to feed the masses, and these Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks take minutes to make and can be prepared way in advance.
The same mozzarella cheese sticks you pack in kids' lunches and eat as on-the-go snacks become melty, delicious mozzarella sticks with a few spices and some breadcrumbs.
While they still need to be frozen for at least an hour before cooking, the air fryer magic helps the fresh and seasoned coating stay tasty and crunchy.
While the full fat cheese sticks will have the best melted texture, low fat cheese sticks will also work for this!
These air fryer recipes, however, will take your snacking expertise up a notch.
How to make Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
These six-ingredient Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks take more waiting time than making time!
- Put cheese sticks in the freezer for at least half an hour. While they chill, whisk an egg until blended in one bowl. Mix your spices and bread crumbs in another bowl. Pour your flour into a gallon size ziplock bag.
- Remove cheese sticks and cut in half. Place into gallon size bag with flour and shake until cheese sticks are thinly coated.
- Dip each cheese stick in egg wash.
- Dredge cheese sticks through bread crumb and spice mixture, covering all sides. Return coated cheese sticks to freezer for another half an hour. This step is KEY.
- Cook coated cheese sticks in air fryer basket for 4-5 minutes at 370 degrees. When the timer is done, remove the basket and let mozzarella sticks cool. If any have exploded, reshape them with a silicon spatula or spoon. Serve with marinara or your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Looking to make your own marinara sauce? Try our minimalist take on Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce!
Can I freeze these ahead of time?
Absolutely! These are the perfect quick after school snack and better than their pre-made freezer section counterparts.
Complete all the steps before cooking and let the coated cheese sticks freeze solid, at least a couple of hours.
Transfer the homemade frozen sticks to a ziplock bag and freeze for up to three months.
Now, you've got fresh mozzarella sticks ready in less than 10 minutes!
In other words, you are becoming an air fryer expert!
How to get crunchier mozzarella sticks
Want even more crunch? Coat them twice!
After the first coating and second trip to the freezer, repeat the egg wash and dredging steps to add a second crunchy coat to your Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks.
Make sure you always freeze them for at least half an hour before cooking to keep the insides from immediately melting in the air fryer basket.
more yummy air fryer appetizer recipes
We have so many air fryer recipes to choose from!
If you are having trouble figuring out which one to try next, we suggest: Air Fryer Zucchini Chips, Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings, Pickles in the Air Fryer, Air Fryer Chicken Tenders and Air Fryer Meatballs
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven.
If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Are you gluten-free? Me too! We also have a sister site where EVERYTHING is gluten-free. It is called VegetarianMamma.
Always be sure to read ingredient labels to make sure that the product/ingredients fits your dietary restrictions!
Generally, we make simple enough recipes where you can sub the ingredients.
Because our household is mixed between gluten and gluten-free, we have made almost everything on our site both ways. (except some of the frozen foods).
If you have any questions, please ask!
If you are looking for vegetarian recipes beyond air fryer ones, we have a Vegetarian Newsletter as well as a Vegetarian Recipes facebook group. This newsletter and FB group offers up recipes that on the stove, in the oven, on the grill, in the instant pot and more!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram!
Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air fryer
- Place cheese sticks in the freezer and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg until blended and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix spices and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, add flour and set aside.
- Remove cheese sticks from freezer and cut in half. Put halved cheese sticks into bag with flour. Shake bag to gently coat all over with flour.
- Dip each cheese stick in egg wash.
- Dredge the cheese stick through the bread crumb and spice mixture. Make sure the cheese stick is covered on all sides.
- Place all sticks back into the freezer for another 30 minutes. Do NOT skip this step!
- Place covered cheese sticks in air fryer basket. Cook for about 4-5 minutes at 370 degrees. When timer goes off, remove basket from air fryer but allow mozzarella sticks to cool before handling. Shape any that have melted with a silicone kitchen tool.
- Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.