Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas are a deliciously seasoned mix of boneless chicken breast strips, and crisp-tender peppers and onions that cook up quickly and easily, ready to fill warm tortillas for dinner.
AIR FRYER CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE
This recipe for chicken fajitas is one of my favorites to cook in the air fryer. I love that all of the ingredients are cooked together - no separate pans for separate ingredients. The chicken, peppers, and onions are seasoned and cooked at the same time.
You're going to love how quick it is to whip this up. Just 15 minutes in the air fryer and you'll be ready to fill up your favorite tortillas and serve.
Garnish your air fryer chicken fajitas with guacamole, salsa, lettuce, herbs, or whatever you feel like. Chicken fajitas are very versatile.
INGREDIENTS IN AIR FRYER CHICKEN FAJITAS
Chicken Breasts - Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into ¼ inch slices are perfect. You'll need about 1 pound of chicken or two large breasts.
Bell Pepper - I like to use a combination of colors. Three peppers total, one red, one green, and one yellow, cut into strips.
Onion - One large onion cut into ¼ inch strips cooks alongside the chicken and peppers.
Olive Oil - You can use regular oil or a spray olive oil, whichever you have on hand is perfect. Avocado oil is great as well.
Chili Powder - This spice is perfect for fajitas and gives color and heat to the mix.
Cumin - Cumin is my favorite for adding a warm, savory flavor to Mexican dishes.
Garlic Powder - Lots of flavor comes from this little bottle of spice.
Paprika - Use regular paprika, or smoked paprika for an extra smoky flavor.
Tortillas - Use whatever type of tortillas you prefer. We're using small flour tortillas here.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN FAJITAS
- Combine all of the ingredients. Place the chicken, peppers, and onion into a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic power, and paprika. Toss to combine.
- Place the fajita mix into the air fryer basket and cook as directed.
- Stir halfway through cooking. Check the temperature of the chicken towards the end of cooking and add 2-3 minutes if needed so that the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the air fryer, place into tortillas and serve with your favorite garnishes.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW TO SERVE AIR FRYER FAJITAS
I love to set up a row of toppings for everyone to choose from. You have tons of options here.
- Lettuce, fresh onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and parsley - these add a fresh, bright flavor.
- Lime or Lemon Wedges - A bit of citrus pairs beautifully with the flavors of the chicken.
- Cucumbers, diced cabbage - These extra veggies add a big crunch to your fajitas.
- Guacamole, cheese, sour cream - I like these items for a creamy finish.
- Make it a meal with some Seasoned Black Beans and Spanish Rice.
CAN I MAKE STEAK FAJITAS IN THE AIR FRYER?
You sure can! The flavors in this recipe will work for any kind of meat. For air fryer steak fajitas, follow the recipe exactly, checking the steak at the halfway mark for doneness. If needed, remove it and continue cooking the vegetables until they are done.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITAS FOR THE AIR FRYER AHEAD OF TIME
You have two options if you'd like to make this recipe ahead of time.
One, you can cook this recipe and store it in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. This way you can use your air fryer chicken fajitas for meal prep or for kids and teens to make their own snacks during the week.
Two, you can prep the chicken, peppers, onions, and seasonings in a zipper bag and store in the fridge for a couple of days until you're ready to cook. Then when it's dinner time, just dump the bag in the air fryer and you're half way there.
MORE AIR FRYER MEXICAN RECIPES
Air Fryer Chimichangas are a delicious "fried" burrito that is delicious topped with sour cream and salsa.
Air Fryer Quesadillas make for a simple weeknight meal or a lunch. Kids love these!
Cauliflower Air Fryer Taco Bowls are a great vegetarian option, and full of flavor.
- Use Any Air Fryer: This recipe can be made in an air fryer unit with a basket or an air fryer oven. If you're using an air fryer oven, place your food on the middle rack and select the "air fry" function.
- Check your food as it cooks! Since each air fryer runs differently, sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. When cooking a new recipe, be sure to check on your food often. This will help you avoid over or undercooking, and help you learn your air fryer's specific ways!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts in ¼ inch slices
- 1 Green bell pepper in ¼ inch slices
- 1 Red bell pepper in ¼ inch slices
- 1 Yellow bell pepper in ¼ inch slices
- 1 Onion in ¼ inch slices
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil or 2-3 pumps olive oil spray
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 8 Flour tortillas
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onion into a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic power, and paprika. Toss to combine.
- Place the fajita mix into the air fryer basket and cook for 15-18 minutes, at 375F.
- Stir/Shake half way through cooking. Check the temperature of the chicken with an instant read thermometer-- if it hasn’t reached 165F, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the fryer, place into tortillas, and serve with garnishes of your choice.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.