Air Fryer Chocolate Glazed Donuts are a copycat recipe of the famous Krispy Kreme donuts that everyone loves. Learn how to make yeasted donuts from scratch, in your air fryer, then top them with creamy chocolate frosting.
AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE GLAZED DONUT RECIPE
These scratch made yeast donuts with chocolate frosting are so chocolatey and delicious! If you love Krispy Kreme donuts, you'll be thrilled at how easy it is to make these amazing, melt in your mouth copycats at home.
I think that since I started cooking with an Air Fryer I've been baking a lot more. The air fryer makes baking all sorts of treats so easy and fast, I can't help myself! If you have a sweet tooth, check out our other air fryer desserts such as Air Fryer Oatmeal Cookies or Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie.
Donuts are traditionally a deep fried food, but I've figured out how to get that same slightly crispy yet super soft texture that donuts are known for, right in the air fryer. Just a quick spritz of cooking oil does the job, rather than a whole pot of oil. Try our Air Fryer Donut Holes too, they are adorable and perfect to pop into your mouth.
Just 7 simple ingredients and a few hours - because proofing yeast dough takes time - and you'll have tender and sugary donuts that the whole family will love.
INGREDIENTS IN AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE GLAZED DONUTS
Milk - Warm your milk on the stovetop until it's 100°F. The warm milk will wake up the yeast.
Active Dry Yeast - You'll need 2 ½ tsp. This is slightly more than a packet of yeast holds, so you'll either need to borrow some from a second packet, or buy your yeast in a jar for easy measuring. Make sure to keep your yeast in the fridge once it's been opened.
Sugar - Sugar adds a delightful sweetness to the donuts and also feeds the yeast in the dough to create air.
Egg - Egg holds everything together.
Butter - One stick of melted butter adds so much moisture and and that perfect mouth-feel.
Flour - All purpose flour is perfect here.
Chocolate Frosting - You can use a canned chocolate frosting, or make your favorite chocolate glaze. I've put some recipes and ideas below.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE GLAZED DONUTS
- In a mixing bowl, gently stir warm milk, yeast and a tablespoon of sugar together. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes or until it starts foaming.
- Add egg, melted butter, and remaining sugar. Stir until completely combined.
- Using a dough hook in an electric mixer, add the flour slowly, mixing on low. Once mixed, increase speed and knead until dough forms into a ball.
- Place the dough in a large, oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Allow the dough to double in size. This will take about an hour.
- Remove dough and roll out on a floured surface until dough is ½ inch thick. Using a circle cutter or a wide-mouth jar, cut out 10-12 donuts. Using a smaller cutter, punch out a center hole in each donut.
- Place donuts on a rack that has been placed on top of a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the donuts to rise for 20 minutes.
- Place 2 or 3 donuts in the air fryer basket, allowing them room to expand. Spray donuts with oil and air fry as directed in the recipe below. Flip over halfway through cooking time.
- Remove donuts from the air fryer using a fork and dip just the top half of each into the chocolate frosting. Place on a rack to cool and set.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHOCOLATE GLAZED DONUTS
HOW TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE GLAZE FOR DONUTS
I'm not adding a specific glaze recipe in the recipe card, because I want you to have the freedom to use whatever sort of chocolate (or not chocolate) frosting that you like. Here are some suggestions:
- Canned cake frosting- The fudgy chocolate kind is perfect here. Pop the frosting in the microwave for about 30 seconds until it warms up and get's a bit runny. It will be the perfect consistency for dipping!
- Donut Glaze - Try this recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.
- Chocolate Ganache - A simple mixture of heavy cream and chocolate is smooth and delicious.
- Melted Chocolate - Yep, just melt your favorite chocolate chips or wafers and dip the donuts right in!
ARE AIR FRYER DONUTS HEALTHY?
This is a recipe for a sugary bread, so depending on your definition of healthy, it may or may not fit in. What I do know if that these air fryer donuts are healthier than traditional donuts. This is because we're air frying with just a small bit of oil rather than deep frying donuts.
MORE AIR FRYER DESSERT RECIPES TO MAKE
Air Fryer Sweet Apples are a perfect fruit treat, and delicious with a side of vanilla ice cream.
- Use Any Air Fryer: This recipe can be made in an air fryer unit with a basket or an air fryer oven. If you're using an air fryer oven, place your food on the middle rack and select the "air fry" function.
- Check your food as it cooks! Since each air fryer runs differently, sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. When cooking a new recipe, be sure to check on your food often. This will help you avoid over or undercooking, and help you learn your air fryer's specific ways!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Chocolate Glazed Donuts (Krispy Kreme Copycat)
- 1 cup Milk warmed to 100F
- 2 ½ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ stick Butter melted
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 ½ cups Chocolate Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, gently stir warm milk, yeast and 1 tbsp of sugar together. Wait 10 minutes for it to start to foam.
- Add egg, melted butter and remaining sugar. Stir until completely combined.
- Using a dough hook in an electric mixer, add the flour slowly allowing it to mix on low. Once mixed, increase speed to medium and knead it until dough forms into a ball.
- Once dough has risen, remove and roll dough out to ½ inch thick on a floured surface. Using a circle cutter or a wide mouth mason jar, cut 10-12 donuts out. Using a smaller hole cutter, punch out a hole in each donut.
- Place donuts on a rack that has been placed on a baking sheet, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the donuts to rise for 20 minutes.
- Place two or three donuts in air fryer basket leaving them room to expand. Spray the donuts with oil and cook on 350F/176Cfor 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove donuts and using fork, dip the donuts halfway into the frosting. Place back on the rack to let sit.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
- Microwave the frosting for 30 seconds or so to loosen it up and make it easier to dip.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.