Making french fries in your air fryer is a total breeze! Just one bite of these perfectly crispy fries is like a trip to your favorite burger joint!
Air Fryer French Fries are so crispy and flavorful! Gone are the days of limp, lifeless french fries that take forever to cook in the oven! One bag of frozen fries and 12 minutes in the air fryer gives you amazing results every time!
Ingredients you'll need
For this air fryer french fry recipe, all you need is one bag of your favorite store-bought french fries. That's it! There's no oil required, and you don't even have to season them!
Of course, you are welcome to add a shake of your favorite seasoning salt before or after cooking if you like, but it's not a deal breaker! Either way, these frozen french fries in the air fryer will hit the spot!
How do I cook frozen french fries in an air fryer?
Believe me when I tell you that this is the EASIEST way to cook french fries!
- Step 1: Choose your favorite brand of french fries from your preferred grocer's frozen foods aisle.
- Step 2: Pour the frozen french fries into the basket of your air fryer. Be sure not to crowd the basket so that the fries will cook evenly!
- Step 3: Give the air fryer basket a gentle shake to spread the fries out as much as possible.
- Step 4: Cook the fries in your air fryer at 400 degrees F, then serve and enjoy. It's that easy!
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries Cooking Time
How long to cook your fries depends on the style and thickness of the potato. Follow these guidelines for the best results:
- For shoestring fries: Cook for 12 minutes.
- For crinkle cut and standard sized fries: Increase the cook time to 18 minutes.
*Cooking tip: Be sure to remove the air fryer basket halfway through cooking to move the fries around. This will allow them to cook to their crispiest potential!
Do I need to defrost frozen french fries before frying?
No! Take it from me - do not thaw the fries before air frying!
With all of the advice you've seen around the web about water being the enemy of a crispy crunchy finish, it may seem counter-intuitive to put frozen potatoes right into an air fryer. However, freezing peeled, cut potatoes creates an outside seal that keeps the moisture inside the potato flesh.
Thawing your frozen fries will cause moisture to leak out and your fries won't crisp up properly. Nobody wants a pile of mushy fries! Toss them right into your air fryer and cook them at a high temperature, and you'll have beautifully crisp fries in minutes!
Best Dipping Sauces for French Fries
Tired of the same old ketchup? Try some of these tasty homemade sauce recipes that you can whip up in no time!
Looking for more irresistible air fryer side dish recipes? Check these out!
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Vegetarian Air Fryer Resources – We have a vegetarian air fryer newsletter, which you can subscribe to here. We also have a specific vegetarian air fryer recipes group on facebook. You can find that Veg Air Fryer FB Group here.
If you are looking for vegetarian recipes beyond air fryer ones, we have a Vegetarian Newsletter as well as a Vegetarian Recipes facebook group. This newsletter and FB group offers up recipes that on the stove, in the oven, on the grill, in the instant pot and more!
- Air Fryer Calculator (convert oven recipes to air fryer)
- Common Air Fryer Mistakes
- Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet
- Can You Put Foil in the Air Fryer
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- Tips for Your Air Fryer
- Cosori Air Fryer Reviews
More Air Fryer Goodies:
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers! Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes. Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer French Fries
- Air fryer
- 1 bag Frozen French fries
- Pour your frozen french fries into the air fryer basket. Be sure not to crowd the basket. Give the basket a gentle shake to even out the fries.
- Place air fryer basket into air fryer unit.Set temperature for 400 degrees F. If you are cooking shoestring fries, cook for 12 minutes.
- After 6 minutes have passed remove the air fryer basket and shake it gently to move fries around. Return air fryer basket to air fryer unit and continue cooking.
- Make sure that you do not crowd the basket with too many fries. The fries will not cook evenly. Work in batches if needed.
- You may need to adjust the time if your are using different types of fries.
- For shoestring fries - cook for 12 minutes
- For crinkle cut and regular Fries - cook for 18 minutes
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.