You won't believe how simple it is to make Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets! Frozen fish fillets are golden brown, crispy, and ready for dinner in just a few minutes in the air fryer!
DIRECTIONS FOR AIR FRYER FROZEN FISH FILLETS
If you've graduated from air fryer Fish sticks, but aren't quite ready to make air fryer fresh salmon yet, this recipe for air fryer frozen fish fillets is going to be just perfect for you!
Frozen fish fillets are breaded pieces of whole fish that have been flash-frozen, and are designed to be baked in the oven.
But you already know that we can do better than that!
The air fryer can cook any of your favorite frozen foods way better and much faster than the oven can. In fact, it takes less than 15 minutes start to finish to cook fish fillets in the air fryer.
When you cook frozen fish in the oven, you need to add time to preheat the oven, which means that you'll likely need 30 or more minutes to bake frozen fish fillets.
The air fryer method for cooking frozen fish fillets is so, so simple. Just toss them in, and turn the machine on.
You'll have the perfect amount of time to throw together some simple side dishes while the fish cooks in the air fryer.
INGREDIENTS FOR FROZEN FISH FILLETS IN AIR FRYER
Frozen Fish Fillets - This air fryer recipe will work for any brand and type of fish fillets you find in the freezer, and it's made specifically for breaded frozen fish fillets. Here I'm cooking beer battered fish, but the type coated with breadcrumbs will also cook perfectly using this method.
That's it! You don't need any oil or extra seasonings to cook frozen fish fillets in the air fryer.
If you have any questions about making frozen fish fillets in the air fryer, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP
HOW TO MAKE FROZEN FISH FILLETS IN AIR FRYER
- Remove as many frozen fish fillets from the packaging as you'd like to cook. I was able to fit 6 small fillets in my Cosori air fryer basket.
- Arrange the frozen fillets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You don't want the fish pieces to be touching or overlapping at all.
- Air Fry as directed in the recipe card below. This should take 12-14 minutes, and you'll want to flip the fish over halfway through the cooking time. Cook until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145°F/63°C, and the outside is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce or your favorite dipping sauces.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for air fryer fish fillets, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER FROZEN FISH FILLETS
I like to serve air fryer battered fish fillets with homemade tartar sauce and fresh parsley. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice would also be delicious.
Turn these fillets into an English-style fish and chips dinner, and serve them with a batch of Air Fryer French Fries.
Or make a healthier veggie side dish, like air fryer frozen broccoli, crispy air fryer brussel sprouts, or corn on the cob.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO AIR FRY FROZEN FISH FILLETS?
The exact amount of time it takes to cook frozen fish fillets in the air fryer will depend on the size and thickness of the fish pieces, and the air fryer that you're using.
Larger or thicker pieces of fish will take at least 14 minutes, and maybe a few extra minutes, while smaller pieces should be done after 12 minutes of cooking.
You should use a thermometer to be sure that the internal temperature of the fish fillets is at least 145°F. At that temperature, frozen fish is fully cooked and safe to eat.
HOW LONG DO YOU AIR FRY GORTON'S FISH FILLETS?
Gorton's fish fillets are very similar to the Van De Kampp filets that I've cooked here. We've tested both brands, and both are cooked perfectly using this air fryer recipe.
DO I THAW FROZEN FISH FILLETS BEFORE AIR FRYING?
Nope. For all frozen foods, you should cook them directly from frozen. They aren't designed to be thawed, and will not cook properly if you let them.
CAN I COOK BATTERED FISH IN THE AIR FRYER?
Freshly battered fish fillets cannot be cooked in the air fryer! There aren't many things that you shouldn't cook in the air fryer, but there are a few, and battered foods are one of the big no-no's.
The only reason that these battered fish fillets can be air fried is that they've been frozen. Frozen battered fish fillets are solid, so they will cook perfectly in the air fryer.
Freshly battered fish is covered with a liquid, and that liquid will just fall to the bottom of the machine when you try to air fry it, making a big mess.
WHAT FROZEN FOODS COOK BEST IN THE AIR FRYER
Any frozen food that is designed to be cooked in a conventional oven can be cooked in the air fryer, and will be crispier, tastier, and done quickly.
Want to stock your freezer? I suggest trying Air Fryer Frozen Pierogi, Air Fryer Frozen Potstickers, Trader Joe's Orange Chicken in the Air Fryer, Frozen Chicken Patties, Frozen Sausage Patties, and Air Fryer Frozen Meatballs.
MORE AIR FRYER FISH RECIPES
Fish of all types can be cooked in the air fryer! I love using the air fryer to make healthy fish and seafood dinners for my family.
Frozen fish sticks, and frozen popcorn shrimp are just as easy to make as frozen fish fillets, and make for an easy lunch or dinner for kids.
Want to make fresh fish in the air fryer? We have recipes for Air Fryer Tilapia, Air Fryer Mahi Mahi, Air Fryer Salmon, and Air Fryer Tuna Steaks.
Take your air fryer cooking to the next level, and make a seafood restaurant-worthy batch of crispy calamari rings in the air fryer, or savory air fryer salmon cakes. Air Fryer Seared Scallops are another!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets
- 4 8-ounce frozen fish fillets
- Remove the frozen fish filets from their outer packaging.
- Place the frozen fish fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring they are not overlapping. Cook in multiple batches if need be.
- Air Fry at 360°F/180°C for 12-14 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the fish is cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F/63°C.
- The nutrition facts for this recipe will depend on the brand of frozen fish fillets you are cooking. Please see the packaging for those details.
- Do not thaw frozen fish fillets before cooking. Add them to the air fryer still frozen.
- Frozen fish is safe to eat once it's been cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F/63°C.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
- Pro Tip: Check your food as it cooks. Each air fryer runs a bit differently. Sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. Check your food as it cooks to learn your air fryer better! When cooking a new recipe or food items be sure to check your food often to help avoid over/under cooking.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.