Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings are a delicious and savory appetizer that you'll love! Brush these crispy wings with your favorite BBQ sauce for a combination that'll leave your taste buds begging for more!
AIR FRYER BBQ CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings are like a party for your mouth!
The crispy skin combined with the juicy chicken and sweet & savory sauce makes for an irresistible flavor profile that is perfect for just about any occasion!
You can also pair these wings with a simple salad to make a healthy and filling complete meal.
If you are thinking about chicken for dinner but not interested in wings, you can try our Air Fryer Chicken Breast.
Ingredients Needed for Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings (split into drums and flats)
- Cooking oil
- Garlic salt
- Bbq sauce
In this recipe, the chicken wings get tossed in the BBQ sauce after cooking.
Feel free to use your favorite BBQ sauce - any sauce is delicious on these easy air fryer wings!
How do you Split Chicken Wings
When buying fresh raw chicken wings, you'll likely find them already broken down at your local grocer.
But oftentimes I find that purchasing chicken wings at specialty foods stores and local butcher shops takes a little extra prep work.
Here's how to break them down into flats and drums:
- First, locate the two joints in the wings.
- Snip through the joints to separate the pieces using a pair of kitchen shears.
- Discard the wing tips and use the flat pieces and drums in your recipe.
How to Make Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- First, rinse your chicken pieces and pat them dry with paper towels. Try to remove as much moisture as possible so the wings will crisp well in the air fryer.
- Place the wings into a mixing bowl and pour the oil over them.
- Sprinkle the garlic salt over the chicken, then toss to coat.
- Place a piece of foil or parchment in the bottom of your air fryer basket and arrange the chicken pieces over top. Make sure not to crowd the pan so that the wings will cook thoroughly. Cook the wings in your air fryer for 16-20 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping halfway through.
- When the wings are done cooking, remove them from the air fryer basket and place them into a clean mixing bowl. Pour your BBQ sauce over the chicken.
- Using a pair of tongs or a spoon, toss the chicken pieces to evenly coat them in the sauce. Then, serve and enjoy!
Can you eat chicken wing tips?
While technically edible, chicken wing tips are really just bone, cartilage, and a little skin.
There's very little, if any, meat within the tip, so I typically discard them when separating the wings into pieces.
How do I get crispy wings?
As mentioned in the cooking instructions, the best way to get crispy wings is to pat them dry after rinsing before you fry them.
Since oil and water don't mix, you'll want to make sure to remove as much moisture from the wing skin as possible.
Pat them dry with paper towels and let them rest for a bit before coating so that any excess water will evaporate.
There's a bonus reason to pat the wings dry before cooking - by crisping the wing skin you'll retain moisture in the meat.
Nobody wants a dry chicken wing, after all!
You can also help your chicken wings to crisp using this air fryer trick:
In the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, carefully pull out the air fryer basket.
Give the wings a generous spray with some cooking oil and return them to the air fryer to finish frying.
The result? Ultra crispy wings that are nearly impossible to resist!
What goes well with wings for dinner?
Chicken wings aren't just an appetizer!
Here are some ways to turn your air fryer wings into a delectable and filling meal:
Pair with fried rice for a quick Asian-inspired weeknight meal
Serve with air fryer asparagus - the perfect low carb combination!
How to reheat wings
You can easily reheat wings in your air fryer. There are a variety of ways to reheat your ways.
Place your wings in the air fryer.
Reheat your wings at 350F for 5 minutes, then turn the heat up to 400F and cook for an additions 3-5 minutes or until warm and crispy.
More delicious air fryer Recipes!
We have so many air fryer recipes to choose from!
- Use Any Air Fryer: This recipe can be made in an air fryer unit with a basket or an air fryer oven. If you're using an air fryer oven, place your food on the middle rack and select the "air fry" function.
- Check your food as it cooks! Since each air fryer runs differently, sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. When cooking a new recipe, be sure to check on your food often. This will help you avoid over or undercooking, and help you learn your air fryer's specific ways!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings split into flats and drums
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- Gently rinse your chicken pieces and pat dry with a paper towels.
- Place the chicken pieces into a mixing bowl.
- Pour the oil over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the garlic salt over the chicken, then toss the chicken to coat evenly.
- Place parchment paper or foil in the bottom of your air fryer basket. (This will allow for easier cleanup.)
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the chicken at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Flip the chicken wings and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- In the last 2-3 minutes, open the air fryer basket and generously spray the chicken with cooking oil to help crisp them. (optional)
- Remove the chicken pieces from the air fryer basket and place them into a bowl.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
- I have found the sweet spot of cooking to be around 16 minutes.
- Thicker wings will take longer.
- Air Fryers vary, so cooking times and temperatures might vary slightly.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
Let's talk! Drop me a comment below telling me if you are a chicken wing lover. Have you made my air fryer BBQ chicken wing recipe? I'd love to hear how you liked it!