These Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs are quick to make, easy to assemble, and perfect for feeding a crowd! You'll dream of ballpark days with these chili dogs.
Everyone has comfort foods — things they grew up eating that still bring back those fond memories, even with just a whiff. These Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs are one of my greatest comfort foods. The snap of the hot dog buried under hearty chili, creamy cheese, and crunchy red onion combine for the most perfect treat of a dinner!
These chili dogs can easily be made vegetarian with a veggie hot dog and vegetarian chili. This recipe lists some basic ingredients, but feel free to mix it up! Not everyone is a fan of mustard, or raw red onion, but most people love a great chili dog.
Need more air fryer ideas for a cookout without the grill? Try my Air Fryer Hamburgers for a quick, juicy hamburger without all the smoke.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHILI CHEESE DOGS
While you need hot dogs, chili, and cheese, the rest of the ingredients are up to you! Got a house of picky eaters? Let everyone dress their own before the final cooking step!
- Start by scoring your hot dogs with a knife or fork and place them in the air fryer basket. Cook for about 5 minutes at 390 degrees F (or 198 degrees C!), flipping hot dogs about halfway through cook time.
- During the cook time, prep your toppings! I like to use chili, shredded cheese, and diced red onion.
- Remove hot dogs from basket and place into buns.
- Then, top hot dogs with chili.
- Next, add your shredded cheese.
- Finally, add the red onions (or any ingredients you're adding other than mustard, ketchup, and other sauce options) and move loaded chili dogs into your air fryer basket and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serve with your favorite party sides and enjoy!
HOW TO SERVE AIR FRYER CHILI CHEESE DOGS
Everyone has their ideal hot dog toppings — I prefer to keep it simple with some chili, cheese, onions, red onions, and a little mustard.
Looking for more crunch? Add some corn chips, potato chips, or maybe a sweet onion instead of a red onion for the same crunch but less bite.
Want to kick this up a notch? Use your own chili! Canned chili is great in a pinch, but homemade is always the best. Need a new vegetarian chili recipe? This Instant Pot Four-Bean Chili goes GREAT on a chili dog and gives you that same hearty flavor without the meat.
If you're on a low carb or keto diet, skip the buns! Butterfly your hot dogs like a bun (it's easier with larger franks) and add your toppings. If so, use an oven-proof bowl in your basket when you add the chili and cheese for easier cleanup!
HOW TO COOK FROZEN HOT DOGS IN AN AIR FRYER
Ready for dinner but realized your hot dogs are still frozen? Don't worry, I've got your back!
Luckily most hot dogs are pre-cooked, so it's all about warming it up instead of cooking it to a safe temperature like chicken or pork. And since hot dogs are also skinny, they're perfect for a quick defrost!
If you have the time, a bowl of cold water will thaw your hog dogs in less than an hour for sure, but if you're on a time crunch, you can defrost them in the air fryer while they cook!
Drop the temperature down to 350 degrees F (or 177 degrees C!) and cook them a little longer, about 8 minutes. Lowering the cooking temperature helps the hot dogs thaw and then cook instead of burning the outside and leaving the inside frozen and raw.
YUMMY AIR FRYER RECIPES
- Air Fryer Meatballs
- Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Brats
- Jalapeño Poppers in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers! Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes. Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs
- Air fryer
- 4 hot dogs beef, turkey, or veggie
- 1 can chili
- Shredded cheese for garnish
- Diced red onion for garnish
- 4 hot dog buns regular or gluten free, optional
- Condiments for garnish, optional
- Score each hot dog with a knife or fork and place into air fryer basket.
- Cook hot dogs 4 to 5 minutes at 390 degrees F (198 degrees C), flipping hot dogs halfway through cooking.
- Place hot dogs into buns and top with chili, cheese, and red onion. Place loaded chili dogs back in air fryer basket for another 2 minutes at 390 degrees F (198 degrees C) until cheese is melted and chili heats through.
- Remove from basket and top with any other condiments you'd like. Serve and enjoy!
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.