These Air Fryer Mushrooms are a great meatless Monday dish with tons of flavor and protein! Slice and serve for a main dish in less than 20 minutes!
I love a vegetarian main dish, and something about a portobello mushroom screams perfect meat alternative. This Air Fryer Mushroom recipe is simple and easy with just four ingredients to get dinner on the table fast!
These Air Fryer Mushrooms are coated in oil, coconut aminos, and garlic salt, giving them a steakhouse feel without the steak. These basic seasonings help bring out the natural mushroom flavor without masking it. Try these for your next vegetarian night!
How to make Air Fryer Mushrooms
These mushroom caps can be served whole or sliced, similarly to a steak! I like the presentation of a sliced mushroom, but you can also keep them whole and top them like a burger!
- Clean the mushrooms well under slowly running water. Gently rub to remove dirt from mushroom caps. While the under side should be dark brown, there should be no brown spots left.
- Add oil to mushroom caps.
- Add coconut aminos to mushrooms and a pinch of garlic salt. Gently move bowl side to side to coat caps.
- Add mushrooms to air fryer basket, top side down, and cook for about 10 minutes at 350°F or 180°C. Flip mushrooms over with about 2 minutes left in the cook time.
How to clean a mushroom
Most mushrooms are covered in dirt, even the ones pre-washed from the store. Washing mushrooms is a delicate task, but it’s best to wash them thoroughly in advance than get a mouthful of grit.
Remember: Mushrooms should be gently washed in cold water and rubbed clean of dirt. Be sure to use gently running water or fill a mixing bowl with cold water and wash the mushrooms under the still water by hand. One at a time is best!
What to serve with Air Fryer MUshrooms
This portobello mushroom steak is similar in taste to a beef steak and goes well with any steakhouse side. Keep it light with a side salad or asparagus or get some comfort food with mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese.
These Air Fryer Mushrooms are also great in other dishes, like on top of fettuccine alfredo or as leftovers for Taco Tuesday!
More Yummy Air Fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Turkey
- Sweet Potato Hash in the air fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Asparagus
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the “Air Fry” function.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers! Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let’s get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes. Don’t forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Air fryer
- Clean mushrooms under slowly running water. Gently rub to remove dirt from mushroom caps.
- Put mushrooms in a bowl. Add coconut aminos, oil, and garlic salt.
- Gently move bowl from side to side to help coat the mushrooms.
- Add mushrooms to air fryer basket top side down to help retain moisture during cooking.
- Cook mushrooms at 350°F or 180°C for 9 to 11 minutes. Flip over with about 2 minutes left in cook time.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.