Crispy, crunchy fried chicken is a breeze to make in the air fryer! A buttermilk and hot sauce marinade takes this fried chicken recipe to to the next flavor level!
This Air Fryer Fried Chicken recipe is life-changing! If you've never made fried chicken at home, don't be intimidated. Now's the time to start! This hot air fryer fried chicken is savory and succulent, and practically melts in your mouth. Adding a side of creamy avocado potato salad and some baked beans to the mix makes this fried chicken perfect for a summer picnic!
What ingredients do I need for homemade fried chicken?
First, you'll need a killer marinade to infuse some serious flavor into this chicken. Start with a combination of buttermilk, hot sauce, salt and pepper. If you want to control the spice level, feel free to use a milder hot sauce, or kick it up a notch with something stronger if you're brave!
Then, super crispy fried chicken is all about the coating. A mixture of flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper gets whisked together to create a breading that will tantalize your taste buds.
If you love spice, this is the hot fried chicken recipe for you!
How to Make Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Add the marinade ingredients to a large bowl and place the chicken pieces into the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- When you'r ready to cook the chicken, place the breading ingredients in a large zip lock bag and mix to blend.
- Working one piece at a time, add the marinated chicken to the coating mix and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Place the chicken pieces in a single layer in a prepared air fryer basket until full. Save any leftover chicken pieces for another batch so that you're not crowding the pan.
- Air fry the breaded chicken for 25 minutes at 380 degrees F. Flip the chicken halfway through the cooking time to make sure that it cooks evenly.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
How do you know when fried chicken is done cooking?
There are a couple of things to look for when cooking air fryer fried chicken and other chicken dishes to make sure that the chicken is fully cooked.
- Always use a meat thermometer to test for doneness. When placed into the thickest part of the chicken meat, the meat thermometer should read a minimum of 165 degrees F. If you serve chicken without making sure it has reached 165, you could be putting yourself or your guests at risk for food borne illness.
- Use a sharp knife to slice into a piece of chicken. As with a meat thermometer, you should do this at the thickest part of the chicken. For dark meat, you should see that the chicken has taken on a gray/brown color and the juices should run clear. For white meat, there should be no remaining pink hue to the meat and the juices should also run clear.
Wondering what to serve along with your air fryer fried chicken? try these delicious side dish recipes!
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Are you gluten-free? Me too! We also have a sister site where EVERYTHING is gluten-free. It is called VegetarianMamma. You can find some awesome dishes there for your Meatless Mondays! Always be sure to read ingredient labels to make sure that the product/ingredients fits your dietary restrictions!
Generally, we make simple enough recipes where you can sub the ingredients. Common subs in our recipes include: Bread = Canyon Bakehouse Bread Crumbs = Ian's GF Bread Crumbs Flour = GF Jules All Purpose GF Flour.
Because our household is mixed between gluten and gluten-free, we have made almost everything on our site both ways. (except some of the frozen foods). If you have any questions, please ask!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers! Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes. Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Air fryer
- 8-12 pieces bone-in chicken pieces
To marinade the chicken:
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl,
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
To coat the chicken:
- Combine the coating ingredients in a large ziplock baggie. Place the marinated chicken pieces into the bag of coating mix one at a time and press the bag together to coat the chicken. Place the coated chicken piece into your air fryer basket. Repeat until the air fryer basket is full.
To cook your chicken:
- Air fry the chicken at 380 degrees F for 25 minutes, flipping the chicken pieces halfway through.
- I like to lay down parchment paper or foil to help with clean up.
- I also like to use spray oil (avocado oil) on the drumsticks. Give them a spray before you flip them over to help prevent sticking, and give the tops a spritz of oil to help brown.
- You can always spritz any floury areas to make them brown.
- Remember to use your meat thermometer to determine if your chicken is cooked. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees F before consuming.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.