Cooking sweet potatoes doesn't have to be a daunting task when you have an air fryer in your kitchen! This Air Fryer Sweet Potato recipe results in fluffy, scrumptious sweet potatoes every single time!
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes require minimal effort and even fewer ingredients! Making potato recipes in an air fryer is not only faster than cooking in an oven, but there's less cleanup involved too!
ARE SWEET POTATOES GOOD FOR YOU?
Sweet potatoes are very nutritious! They're a fantastic source of beta-carotene, which our bodies convert into vitamin A.
Vitamin A is necessary for optimal eye health, and supports the health of our bones, skin, hair, immune systems, and more! In fact, the average sized sweet potato contains over 350% of our daily value of vitamin A! Wow!
Other key nutrients in sweet potatoes include magnesium, vitamin B-6, potassium, iron, and calcium. They're also a great natural source of carbohydrates and fiber.
While not necessarily a great option for low-carb diets, they're a perfect addition to a Paleo, Whole30, or everyday diet!
How to Make Sweet Potatoes in Air Fryer
- Rinse and dry the outsides of your sweet potatoes thoroughly. Pull off any hanging roots and make sure to scrub off any stubborn dirt spots.
- Score the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then rub the outsides with a thin layer of oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes into the air fryer basket and cook for about 35-40 minutes at 390 degrees F. You may need to adjust the cook time up or down by a few minutes depending on the model and size of your air fryer.
- Cut open your sweet potatoes. Top with desired toppings, then serve and enjoy!
How to Tell When Sweet Potatoes are Done
To check if a sweet potato is done cooking, simply insert a knife into the center of the potato. If the potato pierces without any resistance and the knife comes out easily, the potato is done cooking.
How to Eat a Baked Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes are a versatile food! This air fryer sweet potato recipe is perfect for making simple baked sweet potatoes. You can serve them with an array of sweet or savory toppings.
Consider topping your air fryer sweet potato with any of these ingredients:
- Salt & pepper
- Brown sugar
- Caramel sauce
- Candied nuts
- Sour cream and chives
- Garlic herb butter and fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Black beans and fresh avocado
Can you eat the skin of a baked sweet potato?
Yes you can! Just like a russet potato, the skin of a baked sweet potato is super nutritious! A sweet potato's skin contains additional fiber and potassium.
If you're going to eat sweet potato skin, the best way to prepare the potato is to bake it. Boiling a sweet potato removes some of those extra nutrients in the skin, but baking it leaves most of them intact.
Don't be afraid to dig in and devour that sweet potato skin!
Serve your air fryer sweet potato with one of these easy air fryer recipes!
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers! Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes. Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- Air fryer
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt, pepper, cinnamon, sugar, and butter for topping optional
- Wash and dry the outside of each sweet potato.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the sweet potatoes on all sides, then rub them all over with oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes into the air fryer basket and cook for 35-40 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Cut open the sweet potatoes, top with desired toppings, and enjoy!
- Depending on your machine and the size of the sweet potatoes, you may need to adjust the cook time by a few minutes.
- As the timer nears 30 minutes, you can check the potatoes by inserting a knife into the potato. If the knife comes out easily the potato is done.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.