Is there anything more nostalgic than a grilled cheese sandwich? With this air fryer recipe, you can make perfectly toasted, buttery air fryer grilled cheese every single time!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is an easy-to-make recipe that yields the most scrumptious results.
If you've never made a grilled cheese sandwich in your air fryer, you've been missing out!
In only 10 minutes you'll have the most buttery, crispy-on-the-outside, ooey-gooey cheesy-on-the-inside grilled cheese sandwich ever!
Serve it with a crispy pile of air fryer tater tots or air fryer French fries and an icy milkshake and you'll have a diner-style meal that will take you back to your childhood!
The Best Bread for Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
It's the question folks have been asking for ages - which type of bread makes the best grilled cheese?
The truth is, it's all about personal preference!
If you want to make a super crispy, crunchy grilled cheese, I recommend using just about any plain old white bread or sourdough.
Look for bread that has a nice even grain, not too porous, but not too dense.
With this air fryer grilled cheese recipe, we're aiming for a sandwich that has a nice bread to cheese ratio.
I like to use white bread, but you can use any brand or variety that you prefer.
How to Make the Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
You won't believe how simple this recipe is!
Here's how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich around:
- The first step is to butter one side of each piece of bread. You can use salted or unsalted butter. Make sure that you spread the butter evenly across the slice from crust to crust.
- Place a piece or two of cheese between the two slices of bread, making sure that the buttered sides are facing outward.
- Place the sandwich into the bottom of your air fryer basket.
- Cook as directed by the recipe, making sure to flip your grilled cheese sandwich around halfway through cooking to ensure that both sides crisp up evenly.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Tips
Tuck the grilled cheese securely inside the sandwich before air frying. If the cheese sticks out of the sides of the sandwich, it will burn due to the high heat of the air fryer.
Simply fold the edges of the cheese and tuck them inside the bread beforehand to avoid burning.
Don't forget to butter the bread. Without butter, you won't get that super crispy crunch on the outside of your toasted cheese sandwich.
Place the buttered side of the bread out.
Watch for fly away bread! Air fryers work like convection ovens, circling hot air around your food.
The bread from your sandwich may not stay in place due to the air inside your air fryer.
If this happens, you can place a wire rack from your air fryer or instant pot over your sandwich to keep everything in place.
Try these other easy air fryer recipes!
We have so many air fryer recipes to choose from!
Are you gluten-free? Me too! We also have a sister site where EVERYTHING is gluten-free. It is called VegetarianMamma.
Always be sure to read ingredient labels to make sure that the product/ingredients fits your dietary restrictions!
Generally, we make simple enough recipes where you can sub the ingredients.
Because our household is mixed between gluten and gluten-free, we have made almost everything on our site both ways. (except some of the frozen foods).
If you have any questions, please ask!
Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven.
If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
If you are looking for vegetarian recipes beyond air fryer ones, we have a Vegetarian Newsletter as well as a Vegetarian Recipes facebook group. This newsletter and FB group offers up recipes that on the stove, in the oven, on the grill, in the instant pot and more!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram!
Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air fryer
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 slice of cheese
- Let's make some delicious air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches! Butter one side of each slice of bread. Use enough butter to cover the bread, but do not over butter.
- Fold the cheese and place in-between the bread slices. Make sure that the buttered side is facing out. Be sure the cheese is folded and tucked inside the bread, you don't want it hanging out (It will burn).
- Place the air fryer grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer basket and cook at 360 degrees F for 8 minutes. Gently flip at 5 minutes.
- Remove your air fryer grilled cheese sandwich, let cool and ENJOY!
- Make sure the cheese is inside your bread. If your cheese sticks out, it may burn.
- Be sure to butter the bread and put the buttered sides out.
- Watch for fly away bread. It is possible that your bread might fly around in the air fryer, simply place a metal rack (air fryer or instant pot) on top to keep it in place.
- If you are Gluten Free, please use your favorite bread.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.