TikTok made us do it! Air Fried Oranges are a viral sensation, and this easy air fryer fruit recipe makes a delicious, healthy breakfast or dessert.
FRIED ORANGES RECIPE IN THE AIR FRYER
The air fryer community on social media is THE BEST. It's amazing that we can all come together and share the fun and delicious new recipes that we make in our air fryers.
I first heard about fried oranges after a video showing how to make them went viral. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, but I'm SO glad that I tried them.
You'll Love This Fried Oranges Recipe Because:
- Air Fried Oranges are warm, juicy, sweet, and gently spiced with cinnamon.
- This recipe is simple, with just three ingredients.
- For breakfast, with some air fryer bacon (or vegan air fryer bacon), these oranges are outrageously tasty!
- You can turn fried oranges into a dessert as well, topped with vanilla ice cream or custard. Yum!
COOKING FRUIT IN THE AIR FRYER
Can you cook fruit in the air fryer? Sure! Any fruits that you would traditionally bake, roast, or grill can be made more quickly in the air fryer.
Have fun and experiment with air frying pineapple spears and peach slices! Start by sprinkling the fruit with sugar or maple syrup and air fry at 380°F for 8-12 minutes. Fruit in the air fryer is easy and so tasty!
INGREDIENTS FOR FRIED ORANGES
Oranges - You can use any type of oranges in this recipe, these are just common Navel oranges. Blood oranges or Cara Cara oranges would be amazing cooked this way too!
Honey - This adds sweetness and moisture to the party. You can also use maple syrup or agave if you'd like to keep this recipe vegan. I've tried making this with granulated sugar and brown sugar, and I found that it doesn't caramelize as well as liquid sugar does.
Cinnamon - This just makes the oranges super delicious! The warm spice pairs wonderfully with the sweetness and acidity of the warm oranges.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you!
HOW TO MAKE FRIED ORANGES
- Slice the oranges in half through the center.
- Mix the honey and cinnamon together in the small bowl.
- Brush (or spoon) the honey mixture over the cut side of the oranges. You might not need all of it, but save it for later!
- Place the oranges in the air fryer basket with the flesh facing up (skin side down).
- Air Fry at 400°F/200°C for 5 to 8 minutes or until the oranges are starting to brown and the fruit is heated through.
- Serve hot!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for air fried oranges, please see the recipe below
FRIED ORANGES TIPS
Cook for an extra two minutes if you'd like more browning on the fruit. I like my fried oranges to be just heated through and starting to turn brown on the edges.
This works with grapefruit too! Roasted grapefruit can be made in the air fryer using this recipe, but you'll need to add a few minutes to get it heated through.
I don't suggest leaving out the honey (or other sweetener) in this recipe, as the sugar is what helps the oranges caramelize so wonderfully.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRIED ORANGES
I have a few ideas of how you can serve these tasty fried oranges!
Hosting Brunch? Use the air fryer to bake some brunch-y pastries, like Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls or mini Air Fryer Donuts. Don't forget the mimosas, or maybe you want to try something different and make Ron Ron Juice cocktails.
Have a Snack: Top your fried oranges with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or your favorite yogurt. Add sprinkles too - Enjoy yourself!
WHY WOULD YOU AIR FRY ORANGES?
It might seem a little strange to cook oranges in this way, but I promise you that they are delicious!
- Air fried oranges are roasted with the peels still on, which releases the oils from the zest and deepens the orange flavor.
- The little bit of browning on the tops and the sprinkle of cinnamon gives this oranges a warm, roasted flavor that is unlike anything else.
- Hot oranges go perfectly with cold ice cream or yogurt, creating a dessert or snack with lots of textural interest.
ARE AIR FRYER ORANGES HEALTHY?
Well, this easy and delicious breakfast treat was made into a viral TikTok sensation by Jen Jones. She's a plant-based, smoothie-making skincare guru who has encouraged millions to eat more vitamin C using this method.
Jen likes to eat air fryer oranges with non-dairy yogurt and granola so create a balanced breakfast. Some say that frying the oranges reduces the amount of vitamin C available because heat affects it.
Either way, eating oranges is healthy, and eating these fried oranges is delish! If you prefer to enjoy your oranges cold, try making a fresh orange peach mango smoothie instead.
Or if you prefer to enjoy oranges baked into a cake (nobody's here to judge!), go ahead and make my Orange Cranberry Cake.
SHOULD YOU PEEL ORANGES BEFORE AIR FRYING?
Leave the oranges in their peel for this recipe please!
While you could air fry slices of oranges without the peel, you would end up losing a lot of the moisture as it would drip off and away from the fruit.
DO YOU EAT FRIED ORANGE PEELS?
Orange peels are edible, although most people would prefer to only eat the orange flesh.
I usually eat air fried oranges with a spoon, scooping out sections similarly to how I'd eat a half grapefruit.
I toss the peels in the compost or use them to freshen the garbage disposal.
This recipe was made in a Cosori Air Fryer with a Basket. The recipe should work in other air fryers.
Keep in mind that each air fryer runs differently, it is important to check your food often.
MORE EASY AIR FRYER BREAKFAST RECIPES
Did you know that the air fryer could make toast? It can, and it comes out perfect every single time!
If you like your toast with an international spin, try making Air Fryer Frozen French Toast Sticks instead.
Crispy Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes are my favorite on weekend mornings. They can cook in the air fryer while I prepare eggs and more on the stove.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- Air fryer
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Slice the oranges in half.
- Add the honey and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Brush the honey mixture onto the oranges. You may not need all of the honey, but you can save it to drizzle on later.
- Place the oranges in the air fryer basket with the flesh facing up.
- Air fry at 400°F/200°C for 5-8 minutes, until the oranges are starting to brown and the flesh is hot.
- Serve immediately.
- Cook for an extra two minutes if you'd like more browning on the fruit. I like my fried oranges to be just heated through and starting to turn brown on the edges.
- Navel oranges are easy to find, but you can also air fry blood oranges or Cara Cara oranges in this way.
- This works with grapefruit too! Roasted grapefruit can be made in the air fryer using this recipe, but you'll need to add a few minutes to get it heated through.
- I don't suggest leaving out the honey (or other sweetener) in this recipe, as the sugar is what helps the oranges caramelize so wonderfully.
- Serve these fried oranges over ice cream for dessert, on their own as a snack, or with a scoop of greek yogurt and a sprinkle of granola for breakfast.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
- Pro Tip: Check your food as it cooks. Each air fryer runs a bit differently. Sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. Check your food as it cooks to learn your air fryer better! When cooking a new recipe or food items be sure to check your food often to help avoid over/under cooking.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out Air Fryer Eats Membership! Our membership offers exclusive recipes, meal plans, ebooks, helpful learning videos and more – all completely ad free!