Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas are stuffed full of Mexican inspired ingredients and crispy after air frying. No need for take out, just take out your air fryer.
AIR FRYER CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS RECIPE
This recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas reminds me of my favorite restaurant dish. We're making delicious and packed chicken burritos and then using the air fryer to crisp out the outside, making the most delectable chicken chimichangas you've ever made at home.
I think that these chimichangas rival anything I've had in a restaurant, and that's the beauty of the air fryer! Restaurant quality meals, made at home, without ever turning on the oven.
INGREDIENTS IN AIR FRYER CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
Cooking Oil - We'll be using the stovetop to warm our filling ingredients, oil will help to saute everything together.
Chicken Breast - Use already cooked and shredded chicken. This is a great use of a grocery store rotisserie chicken, or any leftovers you have.
Chopped Green Chilies - Don't drain your can of chilies, we want all of that flavor in the mix!
Taco Seasoning - One packet of your favorite taco seasoning adds tons of flavor and spice.
Water - Just a little bit to make the chicken filling the right consistency.
Lime - The juice of half of a lime adds tang and brightness.
Flour Tortillas - Use 8 inch tortillas so that they are large enough to really fill up.
Refried Beans - This acts as a creamy base to our chimichanga filling.
Cheddar Jack Cheese - This is my favorite for Mexican dishes because it melts so well.
Sour Cream - Serve the chimichangas with sour cream.
Pico de Gallo and Cilantro - For garnish.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil, then add chicken, chilies, taco seasoning, water and lime juice, stirring to combine. Cook as directed until heated through.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface and spread refried beans in the middle.
- Top with ¼ of the chicken mixture and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold sides of the tortilla in. Fold bottom over filling and sides, then roll up tightly.
- Set rolled tortilla aside and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Lightly spray the inside of the air fryer basket with cooking spray, as well as the outside of each filled tortilla. Place two chimichangas, seam side down in the basket, and cook as directed in the recipe until lightly browned and heated through. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHIMICHANGAS IN THE AIR FRYER
- Only cook two chimichangas at a time in your basket style air fryer - you can do more if you have an oven style one. You don't want them to touch each other.
- If your filling has extra liquid after cooking, drain it off. You don't want the inside of the chimichanga to be too wet.
- Spray both the basket and the chimichanga with oil to avoid any sticking.
HOW TO SERVE AIR FRYER CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
Serve these topped with sour cream, pico de gallo, and fresh cilantro. If you prefer other toppings on your Mexican food, go right ahead and use them!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER CHIMICHANGAS
Make it Taco night with some rice and beans on the side. Maybe add some chips and salsa too. You might also like to make Air Fryer Taquitos or Air Fryer Cauliflower Tacos and have a Mexican Inspired feast.
Chimichangas are an entire meal on their own though, so enjoy them just as they are for a delicious dinner.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CHIMICHANGA AND A BURRITO?
In a Mexican restaurant, ordering a chimichanga means that they will bring you a burrito that has been deep fried so it's nice and crispy on the outside. Here we're air frying burritos to get the same effect, but with way less fat and oil.
Basically, a chimichanga IS a burrito, just one that's been fried crispy.
CAN I AIR FRY CHIMICHANGAS WITHOUT OIL?
While you can do this, I don't recommend it. Without adding any oil to the outside of the flour tortillas, they will become dry and not very tasty. Just a small amount of spray oil is enough to brown them up and make them perfectly air fried.
The recipe should work in other air fryers. This recipe was created and photographed in a Hamilton Beach Air Fryer.
If you have an OVEN STYLE air fryer, you may need to add 1-3 minutes of additional cook time.
Keep in mind that each air fryer runs differently, it is important to check your food often.
MORE YUMMY AIR FRYER DINNER RECIPES
Frozen Chicken Tenders in the Air Fryer will be a simple dinner recipe you'll recreate over and over again. Kids love these!
Air Fryer Chicken Legs are a yummy and inexpensive chicken dish that is ready in a flash.
Love seafood? Try Air Fryer Scallops for a dinner that you won't soon forget.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas
- Air fryer
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 ½ cups Cooked Chicken Breast shredded
- 1 can Chopped green chiles undrained
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- ½ Lime juiced
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- ¾ cup Refried Beans
- 1 cup Cheddar jack cheese shredded
- Sour Cream for serving
- Pico de Gallo for serving
- Fresh Cilantro for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, chilies, taco seasoning, water, and lime juice, stirring to coat. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is heated through.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface, and spread 3 tablespoons of the refried beans in the middle.
- Top with about ¼ of the chicken mixture (¾ cup) and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Fold sides of tortilla in. Fold bottom over filling and sides, then roll up tightly. Set aside, seam side down, and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Lightly spray the inside of the air fryer basket with cooking spray, as well as the outside of each filled tortilla. Place 2 chimichangas, seam side down, in the basket, and cook at 400 degrees F for 7-8 minutes, flipping halfway through, until lightly browned and heated through. Repeat cooking with remaining chimichangas.
- Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo, and cilantro.
- Cook only two at a time, avoid letting the chimichangas touch each other.
- Pro Tip: This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the "Air Fry" function.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.