Cooking your favorite seafood dishes at home is so simple when you use the Air Fryer!
This easy recipe for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp is super crispy, breaded with coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs, and cooks up juicy and flavorful with just a small amount of oil.
The Best Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe
This recipe for coconut shrimp in the air fryer is so simple and completely delicious!
With just a few spritzes of oil, the air fryer will give you wonderfully crispy coconut shrimp that is juicy on the inside.
Making shrimp in the air fryer this way is a healthier option than the deep-fried way coconut shrimp is usually made, but you won't miss all that grease!
Once you get this easy breading method down, you should also try making Air Fryer Cheese Curds and Air Fryer Onion Rings. They're made in the same way, and just as crispy and amazing as their deep-fried counterparts.
Ingredients In Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Raw Shrimp: We're making coconut shrimp from scratch, so start with uncooked shrimp. You can use frozen shrimp but thaw it fully before starting the recipe. Be sure that the shrimp is cleaned, deveined, and that you remove the outer shells, but leave the tails on for presentation.
Flour: Mixed with some salt and pepper, flour is the first layer of our crispy shrimp breading.
Egg: Beaten eggs help to bind the breading together and keeps the breading stuck to the shrimp.
Coconut flakes: my preference is to use unsweetened coconut flakes for coconut shrimp. Be sure to use the finest coconut you can find for the best texture.
Bread crumbs: Panko adds the best crunch!
Spray Oil: We aren't frying these shrimp, but a bit of oil on the outside helps them to get brown and crispy in the air fryer.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP
How to Make Air Fryer Coconut Shimp
- Set up a breading station. Combine the flour, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Place the eggs in a second bowl. Combine the coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip each shrimp in the flour first, shaking off any excess.
- Next, dip the dredged shrimp in the egg.
- Finally, cover each shrimp with the panko coconut mixture, and shake off any extra bits that won't stick.
- Place the shrimp in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray them with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 380°F/190°C for 5 minutes.
- Flip the shrimp over, spray again with oil, and continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through and golden brown. In total, it takes 8-10 minutes to air fry coconut shrimp.
- Top with chopped cilantro, and serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp, please see the recipe below.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe Tips
- If you like your coconut shrimp extra sweet, use sweetened coconut flakes instead of unsweetened ones.
- When choosing a spray oil to use with our air fryer recipes, look for an all-natural option. The additives in some cooking sprays can damage the non-stick finish on your machine.
- The times for this recipe were tested using large sized shrimp. You can use medium or jumbo shrimp instead, but adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Use a thermometer to check the shrimp for doneness. They'll be done when the shrimp reads 120°F/49°C. It's ok if you overcook the shrimp a little bit, but they are most juicy when they're perfectly done.
- To avoid overcooking, stay close to your air fryer, and check on the shrimp often near the end of the cooking time.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Coconut Shrimp in the air fryer makes a wonderful appetizer, served with your favorite shrimp dipping sauce.
You can also turn this recipe into an easy dinner. Try instant pot jasmine rice and steamed veggies as your side dishes.
For dessert, try making a chocolate coconut sheet cake!
Oh, you have some great options when deciding what to dip air fryer coconut shrimp into! I love them with a sweet and spicy dipping sauce. You can mix together apricot preserves and sweet chili sauce to make one that's just like your favorite restaurant serves. We also make a wonderful sweet and spicy sriracha sauce that would be amazing.
Most recipes for coconut shrimp include breadcrumbs and flour, so won't typically be gluten-free. The great part about this recipe is that you control the ingredients, so feel free to use GF flour and gluten free panko to make your air fryer coconut shrimp gluten free if you need to.
Sometimes coconut shrimp is made with sweetened coconut, but this recipe is not. I prefer to dip my coconut shrimp into a sweet and spicy sauce instead!
- Use Any Air Fryer: This recipe can be made in an air fryer unit with a basket or an air fryer oven. If you're using an air fryer oven, place your food on the middle rack and select the "air fry" function.
- Check your food as it cooks! Since each air fryer runs differently, sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. When cooking a new recipe, be sure to check on your food often. This will help you avoid over or undercooking, and help you learn your air fryer's specific ways!
More Air Fryer Seafood Recipes To Try
If you love shrimp, you'll want to make our other Air Fryer Shrimp recipe. This one is unbreaded, simply seasoned, and ready in just 10 minutes!
Crispy Air Fryer Calamari is another favorite that we love dipping to marinara sauce.
Or make the family a special dinner and try our recipe for Air Fryer Scallops with garlic and herb butter.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- 1 lb raw shrimp large, deveined and peeled with tails still on
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp cilantro for serving
- Combine the flour, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Place the beaten eggs in a second bowl. Combine the coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip the shrimp one at a time in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the dredged shrimp in the egg mixture.
- Then, cover in the panko coconut mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Place the shrimp in the air fryer basket in a single layer, cooking in batches if need be. Spray the top of the coconut shrimp with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 380°F/190°C for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the shrimp is cooked through and the breading is golden brown.
- Top with chopped cilantro after cooking.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free flour blend and gluten free breadcrumbs.
- I prefer to use unsweetened coconut flakes in this recipe, but sweetened ones can also be used.
- These are delicious dipped into cocktail sauce or sweet chili sauce!
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.