Air Fryer Fish is a crunchy and juicy main dish that will make you forget deep frying! This 30-minute tilapia recipe is perfect for your weeknight rotation.
Air Fryer Fish Recipe
Fish fry season is upon us, but I like to skip the deep frying for this flaky Air Fryer Fish recipe.
This can work with any white fish, such as cod or catfish, but I prefer tilapia because it's easy to add flavor and easy to find!
Our air fryer tilapia is coated with seasoned breadcrumbs with chili powder and garlic salt, and it looks as good as traditionally fried fish filets with less fat and more flavor!
This recipe takes less than half an hour and will wow your friends and family.
In need of more seafood recipes?
Try our Air Fryer Salmon for more fish recipes and our Air Fryer Shrimp for a delicious surf and turf dinner!
How to make Air Fryer Fish
This tilapia in the air fryer is as fast as it is delicious!
- Dry fish filets with paper towel.
- Spray filets with a spritz of oil before seasoning and set aside.
- Mix seasonings in a small bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs and seasonings to ziplock bag.
- Put one filet into ziplock bag at a time and gently press breadcrumb mixture into the fish. Repeat for each filet.
- Cook filets at 400°F or 200°C for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway. Serve and enjoy!
Can you cook raw fish in an air fryer?
Absolutely! There isn't much you can't make in an air fryer!
The most important step is to leave space between your filets because air fryers work by circulating hot air to cook quickly and evenly.
Parchment paper or aluminum foil can always be a barrier between the basket and the fish for faster cleanup.
Can I cook frozen fish in the air fryer?
Previously frozen fish that has been thawed will absolutely work here, but the breadcrumb mixture won't stick to the frozen filets.
Luckily fish can be thawed in a jiffy!
If you forgot to thaw your filets overnight, place them in a ziplock bag before submerging them in a cold water bath in a bowl or plugged sink.
Be sure to change the water every half an hour to keep the fish thawing but safe and cold.
We don't recommend thawing fish in a microwave because the sporadic heat can both partially cook thinner sections of the fish or cause the fish to be rubbery.
More Yummy Air Fryer Recipes
We have so many air fryer recipes to choose from!
If you are having trouble figuring out which one to try next, we suggest: Air Fryer Carrots, Air Fryer Steak, Mexican Corn on the Cob in the Air Fryer, Air Fryer Pork Chops and Air Fryer Broccoli
- Use Any Air Fryer: This recipe can be made in an air fryer unit with a basket or an air fryer oven. If you're using an air fryer oven, place your food on the middle rack and select the "air fry" function.
- Check your food as it cooks! Since each air fryer runs differently, sometimes air frying is a trial and error process. When cooking a new recipe, be sure to check on your food often. This will help you avoid over or undercooking, and help you learn your air fryer's specific ways!
This recipe was made in a Cosori Air Fryer with a Basket. The recipe should work in other air fryers.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEats on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram!
Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Air Fryer Fish
- Small bowl
- Ziplock bag
- 4 Tilapia filets
- Spray oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Spray fish filets with a little bit of oil and set aside.
- Combine spices in small bowl.
- Put breadcrumbs in ziplock bag. Add spices to bag and shake well to combine.
- One at a time, place fish filet into bag and gently press breadcrumb mixture into the fish. Make sure all sides are coated. Repeat for each filet.
- Cook filets for 10-12 minutes at 400°F or 200°C in air fryer basket. Flip filets halfway through cooking.
Air Fryers can vary greatly. Please take the time to learn your specific air fryer. You may need to adjust times and temperatures based upon your air fryer. All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.